Friday, August 13, 2010

Orientation and my Fall 2010 Schedule

It's been a while since I've wrote here, or so it seems. I went to the health department and had my immunization form filled out by the nurse there. It was a longgg wait because there were rooms filled of people. I think I waited four hours to one single form filled.

I drove up to my college on Tuesday for orientation. It's about a 35 minute drive from where I live. I'm still a beginner on the highway, really. Every now and then I would look in my rear view mirror and see a car tailgating me. That's one of the most annoying things ever. I drive the speed limit on the highway, which is around 65-70. Anyways, that was the last orientation date for Fall 2010, so I made it just in time. Our orientation was held at the gym and I came about 20 minutes before the actual session had begun. I saw lots of students and the parking lot around the gym was PACKED with cars and college students walking!

We received name tags, and picked up folders filled with information about financial aid, BannerWeb, our transguid, and other misc. information. I saw a bunch of seats and just sat anywhere that was closest to the door. The person sitting next to me was a girl, and I didn't get her name. The pronunciation was difficult. I, of course, conversated with her. She was a nursing student graduate from South Carolina who moved down to the Gainesville area where she was offered a nursing job nearby. Not sure which degree she had, but she looked like she was in her 20's. She basically indirectly stated that nursing didn't feel like a "high goal" for her and thinks that she could have more potential in the medical field. Majoring in pre-med, she has got me thinking about where I might end up being. I do not want to be indecisive and change my major mid way.

The program started and it was a bunch of college information and clubs. We were then split up into groups by numbers on our tranguid and I was in the same group as my "new friend" I met. We were given a campus tour, and were headed to the science and engineering building. There, we were instructed to go to a certain room based on our majors. Pre-Nursing was up first and I walked up the long stairs along with other people. When we were all seated, I noticed there were about three males including myself in the room. I guess I'm going to have to get used to this soon with all the estrogen floating in the air. We were instructed to register for classes via BannerWeb and I sat next to an mid 20's looking dude who was in formal attire. Tie, dress shirt, dress shoes, and everything. He told me his situation and it seems like he had majored into something that he didn't end up liking. I sat there for an hour or two tabbing between BannerWeb and www.ratemyprofessor.com. I wasn't fully focused but I just registered for whatever was available.

Afterwords, I headed out to the student center for ice cream and sat with other freshmen. I then proceeded to make a barcode to get my student ID with my new friend (I got a name this time, Justin). The funny thing is that with my ID, Justin and I had our name tags on still and it shows on our picture. That's what I call real freshmen. My ID turned out alright, and doesn't look like a mug shot, phew. We then made our way to the room next to the one we were in and filled out applications for a parking pass. We got our parking passes, and walked around campus - touring the buildings we didn't see. We departed our ways after everything and I came home anxious to change my schedule at home - where there are no advisors staring across your shoulders onto the computer monitor.

My schedule is as follows:

Mondays/Wednesday- Sociology 1101 8am-8:50am and Engl 1101 7pm-8:15pm
Tuesdays/Thursday- Psychology 1101 2pm-3:15pm and College Algebra 1111 7pm-8:15pm
Friday- Sociology 1101 8am-8:50am

I guess my schedule is alright. My professors are also cool apparently. I'm a bit worried about my college algebra professor though. Mixed reviews on him. I will be driving up there every day and I'm gonna have to drive on the highway home! That;s gonna be a challenge. I guess in between classes I will be hanging around the library because there is no reason to drive home if I have another class in the evening. Being in a library, I guess that will force me to study.

School starts in 48 hours.

**on the side note- also loving the recent news about the overturn of prop 8.

No comments:

Post a Comment