Friday, August 6, 2010

Convo about college with extended family



A couple days ago when my grandma was here to visit, I was sitting outside with grandma anxiously watching the transition of the hot-humid summer day into the night. Atlanta aka hot-lanta is known for it's hot summers. It certainly feels like an oven here during the afternoon. As the sky turned pink, I noticed a cool breeze against my skin. The clouds changed colors from dark blue, to a pink, and finally, a gray black.

I was handed the phone to talk to my uncle's and aunts. Oh boy was it a conversation. I didn't expect to be talking to most of my uncles during that time. Turns out, they were worried about me joining the Air force because I had had ideas of joining. I gave up on the idea. They explained; I'll be better off getting a Bachelors Degree in Nursing first.


One of my uncles was reluctant on the idea of becoming a Nurse. Like many other people out there, the question that comes up first is "Why nursing?" This has happened many times. I usually respond with "Why not?"



It is clear that they obviously want me to be happy with my life, but please don't go suggesting different careers like a doctor, pharmacist, or even a surgeon. I am entitled to my own decisions because I run my own life. It's like every time I talk to them, they always seem to be butting in with my decisions. I don't mind though, because I am entitled to my own decisions. I run my own life.

Is it a negative thing to become a nurse, being a male? I think not. Males are allowed to be in the nursing profession too. Many people, when thinking of a Nurse will have an image of a female in white clothing with that hat. I think it's a time for change. It will be a different environment for me in class though. I heard from one of my uncle's girlfriend that her nursing classes had no males.


I want to be a Nurse.

On the side note, I'm quite nervous about orientation on Tuesday. Classes start on August the 16th, but I will be getting my schedule during orientation. I guess it's time to be a freshman all over again!

I still have flashbacks of my first day going into junior high. It was a scary experience because the campus was so huge, and everyone was so different. I have gotten lost many times in my junior high campus, and I'm sure I will have trouble finding my classes on campus in college.

No comments:

Post a Comment